Monday, October 31, 2005

samhain

SAMHAIN



Powered by Castpost


I love Samhain - Halloween to the non-witchy. For me, this time of year, is a time that I feel a strong affinity with. Many people see it as a time of demise. Not me. There is so much beauty in the turning of this season, so much colour, and such a powerful sense of serenity.

So today I will celebrate Samhain.

For me, it will mean a ritual.

Orange candles will burn, an offering of blackberries to the my Goddess upon my altar, and thanks given for all that I hold dear. Sadly the weather is too cold and my garden too exposed for me to celebrate skyclad out of doors, but thankfully DH will be away which will enable me to celebrate skyclad indoors.

I hope you like the tune - it is so evocative - and yes, I will have it softly playing in the background during my ritual later tonight.

Of course, us Brits seem to be taking the 'Halloween' thing under our wings a little more nowadays - all the shops are full of Halloween goodies and decorations and I know that by 7pm tonight my doorbell will be all but exhausted by the continuous hoardes of be-witched, be-wizarded and be-zombied children. It gives me the perfect excuse to indulge myself and go the whole stereotypical hog in witch attire - out will come the hat, the long black dress, scary make-up - and no-one will think a thing of it. Actually, even if I could I doubt very much I would dress that way - I'm not your stereotypical witch in terms of appearance. But tonight I will willingly submit to that stereotype.

My house is ready now for Samhain - I always decorate the window - although I must admit that it is done for the children - mine and those of the neighbourhood. My window is definitely 'Halloween' and not Samhain. But it looks good and I am proud of it.

And I thought I would share the piece de resistance with you.

On Thursday I aquired an enormous pumpkin...

It's a big, impressive beast of a pumpkin, just desperate to be sliced into. Well maybe not desperate, but I was certainly desperate to slice into it. Lacking inspiration, I trawled around a little bit on the ever-reliable www and I ended up here .

Duly inspired, I went to work armed only with a tablespoon, a long pin and a kitchen knife.

Two hours later we had this....


*smiles smugly*

I'm damn proud of that, I'll have you know!

And this is how it looks in the window, illuminated by a couple of tealights.....

Whether you celebrate Samhain or indulge in Halloween, brightest of blessings to you all.

7 Comments:

Blogger CycleGuy said...

You sound happy. It's nice to see.

All the best to you.

Kirk

12:35 AM  
Blogger Leesa said...

Great post and beautiful pumpkin :)
Happy Samhain.

12:58 AM  
Blogger lecram sinun said...

That is stunning! Bravo!

2:37 AM  
Blogger jade said...

nice carving!

7:06 AM  
Blogger Sasha said...

you're so good at these things.. i hate how all of your talent go unnoticed by your fuckwit of a husband... hmp!

7:18 AM  
Blogger natty68 said...

OMG hon, that is gorgeous.
Bright blessings, and a happy samhain sweetie:)

I am going to be doing a small Samhain ritual tonight, in honour of my dear loved ones, including my pets that have passed on. I havent got any dressings in the window, although I thought of it, but declined as there is only my and DH, thought it would look a bit odd..lol. I have a beautiful orange candle and some bright orange flowers on my altar which is my contribution. I also have a ceramic pumpkin with a tealight burning :)

5:58 PM  
Blogger Mark Leslie said...

That is a very cool pumpkin - and rather huge. Happy Samhein (a few days late, but hey, we can still celebrate the occasion and be in the Halloween spirit for a few days after, can't we?)

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home