Sunday, November 27, 2005

another statistic

ANOTHER STATISTIC

Yesterday I became another statistic.

A victim of crime.

I received a phone call from my bank (which I immediately called back on a trusted number to verify) telling me that my bank account had been accessed, card numbers obtained and that in the space of 48 hours some theiving little bastards had cleared out my bank account. Completely cleared it out.

At the time, I was stood in the supermarket and a trolley full of shopping, tears flowing down my face.

I'll get the money back - I'm not liable for any of it - but it will take a few weeks. In the meantime I have regular bills to pay, family birthdays and Christmas. And no money.

Thank the heavens that my bank were on the ball enough to notice the transactions.

I know that this is not a personal violation, but it sure as hell feels like one. I didn't sleep last night worrying about money and I still feel sick when I think about it.

No-one has any idea how they obtained my card details - it could have been something online, it could have been a normal shop transaction, it could have been something I unwittingly threw away (although I am pretty anal about shredding anything personal), but it has given me a huge shock.

On top of which I am still sick.

Never just rains, does it?

7 Comments:

Blogger jade said...

oh, you poor thing! I've been in a similar situation and understand your frustration. How sad that we live in a time where this is so common around the world!

7:15 AM  
Blogger Lea said...

I am new to your blog and sorry this happened to you. I work in a bank and everyday it amazes me what criminals will do with their time just to steal from someone.
Hoping you get it back in time for X-mas and that you get to feeling better soon.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Sasha said...

oh df, i'm so, so sorry!!! i hope the bank clears everything up... know that my thoughts are with you always df, my dearest!

2:36 PM  
Blogger lecram sinun said...

Wow... that totally sucks! Hope things get better soon!

4:37 PM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

That is just absolutely horrible!

5:06 PM  
Blogger Blondie... said...

Ah, I am so fucking pissed for you!! I'm sorry babe and I hope everything works out alright.

xx
Ruthie

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

F*ck... you never think it can happen to you, do ya?

Hope you get back what was stolen.

12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home