Friday, December 23, 2005

presents!!!

PRESENTS!!!

I opened them!

All those wonderful, amazing, incredible presents that arrived in the post from my wonderful, amazing S.

I have to say, though, that our time together opening these gifts was totally destroyed by the postal service. I sent S her parcel on 2nd December, the same day that she sent mine. I received my parcel a week later. Her parcel has yet to get to her. This is despite it being sent by a service that quotes 5-8 days delivery. Even allowing for the Christmas rush it should have been there by now. 20 days and she still doesn't have it. And I can't even file it as missing until 30 days have expired. I've cried over this. Really cried. I went to so much trouble to choose things for S, there were 17 gifts in that parcel. Okay, so individually some of them were not incredibly valuable in a material sense, but everything was carefully thought out and so meaningful to us. To lose them would be heartbreaking. And the one thing that was in there that really cannot be replaced is the boxed Christmas card that I made for her myself. I'm hoping and hoping more that it arrives very very soon because it has broken my heart, and I'm sure it has broken hers too (although she's being so considerate and playing it down) with it not being there.

Damn you, postal service, I know where the parcel should be - according to the online tracking service - and it has been there for, supposedly, 11 days now. The ridiculous thing is that if she were to hop in a car she could get there and back in a day. A long day, yes, but she could do it. And if I weren't on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean I would run over there - sorry, hop over there - and stamp on their groins with my Christmas cast whilst whacking them in the face with a crutch. I should moderate that because I don't want anyone to think I'm having a go at the postal service in general - they work damned hard and more so at this time of year. But this has broken my fragile little heart.

Anyhow, back to my gifts from S. She was really really careful to send me gifts that she knew would not arouse too much suspicion from DH - the sort of gifts that 'friends' might send to each other. The fact that there were several gifts would make her more than a friend, but DH will never see most of them as I will just incorporate them into everyday life without him noticing.

So you may be puzzled by some of these gifts, but just remember that S knows me better than anyone. She has made me happier than I could ever hope to be. Here's the rundown....

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation DVD
Polar Express DVD
'Beautiful Crescent - A History of New Orleans' book
'Wicked - The Life & Times of the Wicked Witch of the West' book
Pack of 24 Fine Tip Sharpies
'Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy - and other misheard lyrics' 2006 desk calendar
Jewelled book thong
Fluffy ladybird bedsocks
Fluffy sheep bedsocks
Stripy rainbow toe socks
'Queen of Chocolate' ornament
Chocolate Fountain
A photo of her

I think there might have been one other thing, but I can't recall - there was a lot to remember. Each and every one of those presents was completely perfect for me. Completely.

All we need now is for her parcel to arrive VERY SOON and then she can open her gifts and hopefully be equally as happy as I am.

The next few days will be so hard. Her family will all be home. As will DH. Her internet connection at home is not reliable at all and my online time will be limited because, as we know, DH gets his knickers in a twist about these things. I spoke to her this morning and she is planning to call me on Christmas Day sometime, as a good friend would, to wish me a Merry Christmas. Until then though, we both have to just hang on in there and hold close our memories.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sasha said...

oh DF, the jeweled book thong sounds nice! actually, everything sounds nice! i'm so glad you're happy with S' gifts for you.

and it's such a bummer with HER gifts..! you could try following it up with the postal service you know.. just so they'd know that something is terribly wrong with their service. we couldn't very well have OUR hearts broken this Christmas!...

3:30 PM  
Blogger natty68 said...

Oh those presents sound so divine :) You are one lucky girl..:) But what are fine sharpies..my mind is boggling over those..lol.

What a bummer that the postal system have not managed to get S's to her..but I am sure they will arrive eventually.

*hugs and love* df, and may you have a lovely christmas :-)

5:12 PM  
Blogger natty68 said...

Oh and thank you so much for your pressie.. I love that song Venus, you are such a darling.

5:13 PM  
Blogger jade said...

I'm getting a visual of you kicking butt with your cast and crutches! Too funny!

10:20 PM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

Just wanted to wish you a very HAPPY, HAPPY Christmas. :)

3:35 AM  
Blogger Mermaid Girl said...

I am with Natty68 - what are sharpies??? LOL...

Wishing you a happy and safe Christmas too darling girl :)

Love
Mermaid Girl

3:49 AM  
Blogger Genna said...

It is wonderful that she knows you so well. Hope you had a great Christmas!

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home