Monday, January 09, 2006

when ye go away

WHEN YE GO AWAY


Powered by Castpost

I've been listening to this group a lot over the last few days - they're one of my favourite groups of all time, ever, and I'm going to see them live in just over 3 weeks.

This morning, they provided the backdrop as I spent a little while in my usual way, visiting my friends and checking in on their lives.

So I find myself with Angel Girl. And she's sad today. Sad is an understatement. She's said what I truly hope is only a temporary goodbye to her love. But the yearning and the sadness flooded into my heart.

And as I am sitting there, this song played softly in the background. And I sat and cried. I cried for Angel Girl and her love. But I cried also for myself. I cried because I saw myself making that same journey back from the airport at the end of September. And I listened to the words of the song and cried some more. I've heard this song countless times but it never meant more to me than today. I'm not going to tarnish September before it gets here, I'm not going to grieve it's ending before it is even begun.

But Angel Girl, I hear you, sweetie, oh how I hear you.

And ~S~, I feel this way every single time we have to say our goodbyes, whether it is goodbye for a moment, an hour or a day.

Now he's brought down the rain
and the indian summer is through
In the morning you'll be following your trail again
fair play to you
You ain't calling me to join you
and I'm spoken for anyway
but I will cry
when you go away

Your beauty is familiar
and your voice is like a key
It opens up my soul
and torches up a fire inside of me
Your cloak is made of magic
and around your table angels play
I will cry when you go away

Somebody left his whisky
and the night is very young
I've some to say and more to tell
the words will soon be spilling from my tongue
I will rave and I will ramble
I'll do everything to make you stay
but I will cry
when you go away


Dublin February 1987 / Spiddal May 1988
On "Fisherman's Blues" and "The Whole Of The Moon"
The Waterboys


Apologies for yet another music-based post, I just can't help it when music gets me like that.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

am enthralled by your page... was wondering if i could have the html code for the Female of the Species mp3 that is on your page...

5:17 PM  
Blogger Sasha said...

i feel you df. believe me i do.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Sometimes words fail and emotions are hard to convey, so music takes over and either says all you need to say or transports you to somewhere you really need to be.

6:19 PM  
Blogger pack of 2 said...

I hope things get better for soon. I'm sorry you're in so much pain.

Angie

6:21 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Music is definitely a "healer". It alwaqys helps to make me feel better. I hope you feel better soon and life works out for you :)

6:59 PM  
Blogger Lil Bit said...

*listening to the song & crying*
Definitely feelin' ya, DF.

LOVE the music posts, btw.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

Never appologize for feeling, it's truth.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Deadly Female said...

mookie ass - Thanks for calling in - an email address would be a good starting point... :)... and then I'll see what info I can get you

sasha - *hugs* petal

melissa - Music does this to me all the time. Even now, I'm sat listening to Abba and I'm transported somewhere else - albeit a disco somewhere in NYC in the '70s, complete with lurex jumpsuit *sings* Mamma Mia, here I go again..... No, seriously though, I can be reduced to tears in the middle of a supermarket by a song.

pack of 2 - Thank you. Things are getting better - the last couple of days have just made me a little introspective, that's all. Some stuff to work through still, but it will all be good in the end.

chelle - Music is an incredible healer. And I seriously am listening to Abba, but maybe I should be listening to 'Thankyou For The Music' right now...?

lil bit - I somehow knew you would get it, sweetie. And I'm glad you like the music posts - I kind of worry that they may be a bit alienating as music is such a personal thing. I could post a different song every day for 10 years and still have songs to share. I don't think I could live without music in my life.

wenchy - It is the truth xx

9:20 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

I'm really glad you've worked through your feelings on this matter. You would have been missed, had you been chased off.

3:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home