Sunday, October 08, 2006

10 (a tale of privacy and pretty trains)

I've made a momentous decision today.

I've decided to talk about my life a bit more. This decision came about for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, the lack of dialogue about my life was initially to preserve my privacy due to my married state. The married state technically still exists but now that we're in separate houses and now that he is dating again (that's a topic for another post) I'm not quite so stressed.

Secondly, I always thought my life was dull. It seems not though - chatting to a colleague the other day and regaling her with the latest crisis to hit my life (another bank fraud and someone hitting my car) she just laughed and said my life was like a soap opera. I think I'd rather be Coronation Street than EastEnders though - just a Northern thing.

Thirdly, I've been reading funny blogs. One funny blog in particular. This one. I don't normally make a song and dance about blogs I read - I just quietly read and occasionally comment and pop a link in my ever-growing sidebar but this one I really like. She makes me laugh out loud. I want to be funny like her *pouts and strops* I've a long way to go, I think.

So, on with the show......

I'd promised the girls I would take them shopping today - not something for the faint-hearted. Strop, the eldest one, has been growing like the proverbial tree. Okay more like a shrub if I'm honest, but a quick trip through her wardrobe revealed a distinct lack of clothes that actually fit her. Tink's wardrobe (she's the littlest one) is bulging at the seams - she has the advantage of being tiny, and getting masses of lovely hand-me-downs, but I could hardly leave her at home could I? I mean, the idea was tempting - I've taken Tink shopping before and I know how it goes - but I doubt Social Services would view it kindly. Besides which, I would really like the house to be standing when I get home and leaving Tink unattended for anything longer than 30 seconds usually guarantees some kind of destruction.

So off we set. We're off into The City. This is big for me, I hate The City with a passion. However, since The City houses a big cheap shop (remember, I'm a single parent now, cheap is good) I decided to bite the bullet. Driving into The City is a no-no though. I don't like it and I won't do it and that's all there is to it. Besides, there' s a perfectly adequate and occasionally efficient train service into The City, so we'll take the train.

The girls are excited, Tink in particular. For the first time in years they are ready to go before me. So much before me that in fact I'm still in bed when they appear, dressed and eager to go.

Half an hour later, reluctantly dressed (black and pink jammies are hardly City attire) we're at the train station. The train is due in ten minutes and the platform already holds quite a few prospective travellers. Now at this juncture it would be worthwhile me telling you that Tink is cute. Not just cute in a cute-looking-kid way (although she is that too) but cute in a smart-and funny-and-engaging way. She regularly draws people in with her charm. Tiring but cute. So we're on the platform and Tink is skipping about looking for the train.

Tink: Mum, where will the train come from?

Me: That direction, sweetie (pointing up the track)

Tink: Where will it go?

Me: That direction, sweetie (pointing down the track)

Middle-aged couple waiting at the side of us have already been drawn in by Tink and are listening and smiling to themselves. It never takes long.

Tink: What colour is the train, mum?

Me: I have no idea but I think it might be blue

Tink: I don't want a blue train

Me: Well, sweetie, you might not have a choice.

Tink: But I want a pink train

Me: I doubt it will be pink

Tink: But why not?

Me: I don't think they make pink trains

Tink: Well they should

Middle-aged couple are clearly highly amused by this exchange.

Tink: Pink and purple would be nice

Me: Sweetie, I really don't think the train will be pink and purple. As much as you would love it, I doubt they will paint it pink and purple just for you

Tink: I bet it is

The distant rumble of a train alerts us all and we look expectantly up the track

Me: Let's see what colour it is then....

Tink: It's pink, it's pink, I told you it was pink!

Me: No, darling I don't think it's.....

You guessed it, the train was pink with purple stripes. I will never hear the end of this.

13 Comments:

Blogger Sapphire said...

*falls of chair laughing*

Babe, you are tons funnier than WWDD. That's why I love you so much.You just have to look back on things that may not be funny initially and laugh. And how did we miss the pink and purpley-striped train?

7:52 PM  
Blogger doctorlucy said...

Hahahahahaha...
Oh that made me laugh out loud!!!
She is an absolute little angel!
What were the faces of the elderly couple like?!
-x-

7:53 PM  
Blogger Deadly Female said...

Darling girl, I have no idea how we missed the fact that our trains are pink and purple - we mustn't have been looking when we took our train trip. Of course Tink was highly delighted and has now set her sights on dominating the world with pink and purple. Her next step is, I believe, her school uniform. I wish her luck with that venture....

Lucy - They laughed considerably, which amused Tink even more. I think it made their day.

8:02 PM  
Blogger SassyFemme said...

OMG, just ROFL about the train thing! Whoever would have thought those colors on a train? I bet Tink was in her glory the rest of the day! Thanks for sharing a snippet of your day to day life! :)

11:03 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Girl said...

LMAO...Now I am imagining Tink and Baby Mermaid in a room together...after reading that post, I think that combination would be worth buying tickets for...LOL

2:34 AM  
Blogger straighttalker05 said...

Pink and purple trains?

Belfast has pink buses.

Do you think there's something about those transport authorities?

8:45 AM  
Blogger CycleGuy said...

That's so precious.
LOL

12:17 PM  
Blogger ~art said...

Some rad trains you have over there. ROFL

1:37 PM  
Blogger High Maintenance Femme said...

hahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahhaha! Tink wins again! Give her a heeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuge hug for me. xx

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's fantastic. :D Bless her.

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it!! Very cute!

1:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liking both your blogs, having been in a long distance relationship myself in the past I can relate and you both articulate the struggles extremely well and congrats btw on the impending nuptuals.

Thanks for the big-up. I hope I can keep making you laugh.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll miss that train LOL

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home